Sunday, August 7, 2011

13 Years is a long,long time ago,

and it FEELS like a Galaxy far, far away, and yet it somehow still feels like yesterday, I certainly will never forget it. it was the day I first boarded an LIRR train to Bethpage NY.,and began what became the most successful, stressful, fun, hellish, era of my Adult Life. it was the start of every change "for the better" after nearly 33 years of false starts, it was the start of the highest of highs I EVER had, and some of the lowest lows. and it is a time I will forever look back on with more affection than anger. no matter how much I hate to admit it. for the following 2 weeks, I would get up around 5AM, trek from my basement hole in The Bronx, all the way to Long Island and train for Sleepys. truth was I needed VERY little training, I had been training for them for the last 15 years, all I needed was some clue as to what I was expected to sell, and some basic info. my trainer was a FUN, larger than life guy named Paul Hubert. we bonded very fast, I also met the man who would become a daily, invaluable source of help, encouragement and support, Mike Noone. I often tell people that working at Sleepys was akin to "Charlie's Angels". 99% of your contact with upper management was via speakerphone! and Mike Noone was my "Charlie". there were a few others but I always called him 1st, he always was there to "pump me up". make me smile on a bad day, laugh with me, and he always fought for ME and made sure every problem was above ALL treated in a fair manner. I also had a great deal of help in the office from a guy named Matt Page. a fellow 007 fanatic! I felt like I landed on a Planet where people FINALLY after years and years GOT who I was!. and wanted ME to do well. and that was a big difference from EVERY place I had ever worked. I "connected" with these people as I had never before connected with a job. following "training" I worked for about 3 weeks in The Bronx. one day I was pulled, sent to Manhattan as  I had hoped, and that was that. I may feel the need this week to share a few more stories. I always get melancholy in early August. its also my late mom's Birthday in a few days. Sleepy's was the perfect place at the perfect time in my life. and with some AWESOME people I will always remember. there are days I CRINGE when some folks call me "Sleepys", and a few people in another circle of friends call me "mattressman". sometimes I want to shed those names not because I hate the time. but because it will always sting a little when I think of how things SHOULD have ended there.

No comments:

Post a Comment