Sunday, July 24, 2011

"Green Acres is the place to be..."

for those reading this who may not be old enough to remember, there were a couple of very popular shows in the mid-60's /early 70's, that were set in a little town called "Hooterville". one was called" Petticoat Junction", the other was truly one of the strangest shows to come out of the Psychedelic 60's and it was known as "Green Acres". the series  was ostensibly about a Manhattan lawyer, (played by Eddie Albert) and his Glamorous Wife, (played by Eva Gabor), who buy a farm in the town and try to "go country"! Eddie is ALL about the idea, Eva loves him and is willing to give it a try for that reason but never really stops missing NYC. where the real comedy comes from however is the bizarre, almost surreal way the writers handle things ( breaking the 4th wall often, with many "in jokes") and the strange people around them, the sight of Eva Gabor in designer clothes wandering around a farm house that is falling apart as if nothing is "off", the writers had to have been smoking something powerful as Hell.!lol.  this is the best way I can describe the time I spent in Middletown, now SOME people may enjoy the sight of Cows and Horses in the yard across the street and driving 15 minutes to go ANY place, hey whatever "floats your boat". Me, I get itchy when I am more than an hour or so from Manhattan by Subway. I have lived my whole life for the most part in either Yonkers or The Bronx, and I LIKE it that way. I spent part of my childhood in White Plains as well but there are so many bad memories from there I try to block them out..now there are a number of reasons WHY my Mother and Her Husband went to live in this God Forsaken corner of NY State, ,ONE was the fact that his daughter lived there for MANY years.(this was how I first became aware of this place. through occasional visits). the other reason..is something of a major bomb I am not quite ready to "set off" on this page. when I do, it will shed a little more light on why I detest my stepfather as much as I do, many people might think a nasty, violent abusive alcoholic who was unrelentingly cruel and foul mouthed would be more than enough. and it would be in most cases. he has another skeleton. and it's DAMN ugly. I posted this entry to try to get "back in the swing" of writing after a short break..and to set-up a bit more about the time I spent between housing, before I move forward to the next chapter. I have a few interesting stories about my time in Middletown as well.. that I plan to cover in the next entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment