Tuesday, May 31, 2011

January, 2008. I should have known better,after PC.

I survived my heart attack, (obviously,) and "PC Richard's" became a name I never wanted to hear again. I still had a few dollars, (but a lot less than before and it was dropping like a rock by now).
before Craigslist became known primarily as a place for serial killers looking for hookers, it also was known as a place to find jobs.( it may still be used for that, but it has not done ME a damn bit of good in years despite nearly daily visits).
I figured this was a good place to begin. I now had no "connections" left any place at all.
I very quickly found a position that sounded VERY promising in Scarsdale/Hartsdale with Lazy Boy Furniture,
and learned a very old lesson. "If it sounds too good to be true, run like Hell", I should have known better after PC Richards. but I again needed the money, needed a job, and in spite of some misgivings about "selling on commission" again plus selling furniture, which I never found appealing in ANY way, I signed on and shortly began to suffer "Deja Vu". no matter HOW much I sold, it was NEVER enough to generate commission. the manager was bi-polar and NASTY, one minute he was friendly and nice, the next, he was rude, dismissive, never available to assist you, he hid in his office and avoided all contact with customers, and on and on. than it took on a whole other dimension, they kept hiring more and more people, in a store that did not have enough customers for 3 salespeople at one point we had 8!! and I was competing for sales with an Assistant Mgr, (who also was on commission, and often made little more than I did, and who never stopped saying how soon he wanted out of the Titanic). I was hired at ONE rate of pay. it dropped 2x in 6 months. I never made a penny of commission, at the end of 6 months I had made 10,700.00 working 40 hours a week.
this was not a job, it was a money pit. it was "Anti-Income". I stayed as long as I could. I truly tried like Hell,
but the writing was on the wall. It was not going to improve, my saving were almost gone, I had begun using what are known as "balance transfers" on my credit cards to pay bills and rent, I spent 6 months believing that it would turn around, that maybe there was some good left there. the other salespeople were mostly attractive females. they were a fun bunch, none of them were making money either, but it did not seem to matter much to them. I had bills that never went away..Than I got another "gift". Bank of America pre-approved me for a 15k "loan". ( I still had great credit remember? I paid every bill on time in full. I never saw this coming, nor did I seek it),  I took the money, and said "see ya" to Lazy Boy. I knew I could exist  a while on that. I had applied for a few jobs while employed at Lazy Boy. I was sure one would call me. I was wrong. but at least I was not SPENDING more than I was making just to go to work again..I had savings again, even if they belonged to the Bank of America.it was the start of the long downward spiral. but through all the madness and bad decisions that followed, I never gave up hope that there was another door waiting to open, and that all I needed was the "right" fit. June of 08. was the last "consistent" employment I have had. I held 2 jobs since that time. both lasted under 5 weeks. one I left, one I was asked to leave. I will post about both next, and following that I want to "change gears" a bit and talk about some other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment