Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Lost Year:Summer 08-Summer 09.

This is where it gets kinda confusing.and even somewhat comical in a depressing sort of way,
let's just say I began to lose a lot of faith in quite a few people. some people just do NOT grasp the concept that "working" purely for the sake of "working" is counterproductive if you CANNOT meet your daily expenses,
and that "getting a job" under the circumstances is NOT as simple as asking for one, there must be a job, they must want YOU, and no matter what you anyone tells you, Supermarkets, KMART, Target, Macy;s Walmart, Mcdonalds etc are NOT always hiring. and sorry, they are not lining up to hire those over 40, with a dicey employment background. in many cases you cannot even see a person, often it goes more like this, you are directed to an "online application". you are than sent through a 40 something minute "screening process". than you are told via email, "Thank You for your interest, we will contact you, if and when we have something that meets our needs that matches you". I tried them ALL. of course by this time many began to doubt my efforts,and quite a few decided I was a "lost cause".and let's be honest, none of these jobs was going to meet my financial needs by any stretch of the imagination. I tried Job Fairs, monster, craigslist, all the while digging a deeper and deeper grave with credit cards and living off  my "loan". I even returned to the scene of a job I left behind decades ago. for 3 days, don't ask. I prefer to pretend it never happened, and what DID happen was pretty damn strange and I never understood it.. it was one of 2 "incidents" that I was hired and "let go" in under a week with little explanation. it also was one of the most depressing years of my life, the ONLY bright spot during this time was the return of my favorite radio host and her daily podcasts. (that is a post unto itself, maybe more than one, and maybe the next post or 2).
Next  up in short order was "Bob's Discount Furniture". it had possibilities. I did not know how many at the time, I know better now. but at the end of the day, I was "not what they were looking for", I was let go shortly after they opened a big new store. I am not convinced I was ever meant to be there longer, the store was flooded with too many salespeople from day 1, less than 3 weeks. and I was sent packing. it was a bad "mix". I was not the "rah rah type",. (I was also "ill".having recently been told I was type 2 diabetic,and I worked myself into an exhausted state during the opening and it probably showed). and last but not least, I took ONE last shot at furniture and got into Ashley Furniture, 10x more salespeople than Lazy Boy with about the same number of customers. after a massive error in my paycheck, and a 13 hour day after which I sold nothing but a 49.00 ceramic CHICKEN, ( that at least has provided me with an excellent "in joke" among a few friends). I entered into a "conversation" with management that went sort of like "you cant fire me I quit, you cannot quit your fired". "are you sure YOU are letting ME go"? "yes" "Thank You I now qualify for unemployment" (not fired for cause, enough time amassed in the last year and a half) which also paid more than I was making at Ashley. (FYI, they had 25 people already, were about to hire 10 more, and they NEVER stop looking for help for some odd reason. they advertise daily on craigslist as often as today. cant seem to keep people much? wonder why that is),

No comments:

Post a Comment