Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What Came Next,?

well, nothing that was good, and nothing I am terribly proud of. A short time following the demise of Rockaway Bedding, and the denial of my unemployment by the State of NY, I had to make the first of many "bad choices.".Faced with no income, a rent of 950.00 a month,a reasonable (at one time) amount of debt, and an ever shrinking pool of employment options, I did what I had to. I closed my 401k and had around 40,000.00 deposited into my checking account, I instantly lost almost 8000.00 due to penalty for early withdrawl.(and was taxed again for another 7g's at the end of the year). I paid off every card to 0.00, and spent a lot of time at home, online looking for the "right" job rather than ANY job at all. time passed quickly,I had sold electronics in the past and was rather comfortable and skilled at that. in spite of never really enjoying it, so I dialed up another "face from the past". ( and BOY do I have stories about this guy coming up later). and got myself hired by PC Richards, it was September. just in time for Christmas Season! , this proved to be a HUGE mistake, I was beyond miserable. in spite of being on the Upper East Side an area I had worked in for many years and knew well.. the Treatment I recieved by this company was akin to torture. the compensation was akin to slave wages. how anybody is able to work there and NOT require at a minimum Food Stamps escapes me. I was treated like fool, spoken "down" to by so-called managers and sent (at my OWN expense mind you) on trips to Long Island for "meetings" that were pointless more than once, ( Heaven forbid I should actually be in the store selling! as I worked on commission that I never recieved). every night I left that place I swore I might not return, One night in early Nov, I was right. the stress,( and years of a less than healthy diet) sent me to the hospital. I had a heart attack. and that was the end of that. I was fired in under 90 days (at JUST before the point that this wonderful Co, that paid garbage to begin with, would have had to offer me Medical Benefits among other things). I was relived, not sad.I was spending more than I made at this point just to go to work every morning. there had to something better out there, and I was going to find it. I still had a lot of money. No rush, right? this was just a minor set back. little did I dream how much more difficult and bizzare things would get. PC may have been the worst place I ever worked hands down, but there were at least 2 others that sure as Hell gave them some serious competition for the Title..

No comments:

Post a Comment