Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Part 2

I mentioned "The Radiochick Show", in my last post, for a reason, aside from the fact that I loved it
(in it's many incarnations) over the years, (and that in the last 2 years I finally got a chance to meet this funny lady and her "partner in crime" Chuck Nice).
When you work for Sleepy's, nothing lasts forever, and it is very common for employees to suddenly find they do not work in certain locations anymore. they now work somewhere else, or in some cases, you are on a "rotating" schedule, between 2 or 3 locations, in the first 5 years of my time there, I managed 4 stores, and rotated through at least 2-3 semi-regularly. in the last 3 I was assigned regularly to 3, and "visited" about 5 others
it was nice to have a "familiar" presence follow me around from location to locastion,
no matter where I went,.and oddly the show, pretty much started up, and ended concurrent with my run with Sleepy's. (except for the period that fans of the show refer to as the "F(orced) U (nemployment)." eras,
the last "era" for the show started in the summer of 09, a time when I really needed a regular laugh..The show  was back after a year and a half in limbo, (much like myself) and doing daily podcasts,( I actually bought my first MP3 player to download and take the show with me on days I was job hunting,)
the show than "morphed" into a "fully interactive" Web based daily show on shovio,com.  a terrific fun web site where I became friendly not only with Ms Gold, (and if she brings "Gong Show Live" to the area of anyone who reads this SEE IT), but a lot of  long time listeners/viewers who I had never met, (that would be you Viking Mike, Mall Guy Eric, boredjason, Shawn from da Cave) as well as my pal Kevin Canessa who hosts his own excellent nightly show there, and one of the funniest, nicest guys I know Scott Coscia, who has hosted and produced his own show, while working for both Leslie and well known "Gossip Guy" Chaunce Hayden of "Steppin Out Magazine."
as the money got tighter, this website gave me something to look forward to each day, and for HOURS at a time, I even had a few chances to visit the studios a few times and "play co host", as well as guest, and watch  Leslie do her show live, and watch Chaunce do his show from "Sapphire Club"(Thanks Scott),  pretty cool for a guy in my situation, and a MAJOR mood lifter when your "real world" is not exactly going so great,
I also had the pleasure of seeing Leslie produce "Gong Show Live". brilliant modern update of the 70's TV Classic at BB King's in Times Square, shiovio.com and facebook, brought a whole new bunch of people into my circle, and while change is inevitable, I hope to remain in touch with all of them for a long,long time. and I hope that one day there will be another version of The Chick in some fashion. who knows where she will pop up next? funny talented people who persevere usually do, and THAT is "What I have learened from The Radiochick Show". ( well that and the names of The Real Housewives of NY)

No comments:

Post a Comment